Monday, August 11, 2008

Bikini After Baby

My daughter-in-law, Irene, taking care of her babies


I was at my Mom's house on Wednesday and while waiting for her to get something I picked up her July 28th People magazine. On page 108 I found BodyWatch--Bikini After Baby.

I know you and I don't know HOW THEY DO IT, but People magazine does:

Jennifer Lopez
Gave birth 5 months ago
Gained 50 pounds
Accompanied with picture of Lopez in bikini


How she lost it: Prepping for a Fall triathlon since late June, Lopez, 39, has been alternating 35 minute runs with swimming and 50 minute bike rides up to six times a week. "This is not vanity inspired," says trainer, Gunnar Peterson.

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!

This is not vanity inspired, or money inspired, or next role inspired, or tabloid inspired. No, not at all. Please read this with the heaviest of sarcastic tones.

This is NOT NORMAL! My daughter-in-law is lucky if she can grab 15 minutes in 24 hours to do anything for herself, let alone at least 85 minute workouts 6 times a week. And the bike rides must take Lopez away from where the baby is, so who takes care of her precious child?



On the same page:

Jaime Pressly
Gave birth 14 months ago
Gained 40 pounds
Accompanied by picture of Pressly in tiny bikini

How she lost it: Jaime, 30, relied on daily hour-long runs and 90 minute weight-training sessions. Since taking it off she trains 2 hours a day with her personal trainer.

Is there really anything left to say? Except, who is taking care of the babies????!!!!!

My daughter-in-law thinks money is behind all this training, and sweating and dieting and extreme effort and she is right, but I still have to wonder how this affects all the new young mothers out there who are watching and taking notes.

3 comments:

Irene said...

I told you - they are NOT with their babies. Apparently to them looking good is more important than being with their babies. And you're right about the 15 minutes thing. Actually I'm lucky if I get that. Usually I don't even get to go to the bathroom by myself, let alone go to the gym or on a bike ride - HA!

A generation ago I don't think anybody had these kinds of expectations. It's sad. I think if anything women are worrying about their bodies more than they are worrying about the growing body inside of them. That can't be a good thing. Too many unrealistic expectations.

I'm sure some people could eat gobs and gobs of bad food while they are pregnant, and others might even smoke or drink. But I think you have a big responsibility when you are pregnant. Every decision I made was based on whether or not it was good for the baby and I still base decisions on what is best for my kids and my family. But then we all know, I don't think like most people.

Sorry I'm kind of rambling, but I figured since I had a few minutes - Zuzu is napping and Ali is coloring at the table behind me. It's raining today or we would be outside.

Mom said...

You know I love the feedback! And who would know better what young people are thinking than a YOUNG PERSON?

Anonymous said...

OMG! Re your topic, I just clicked this headline, "Today's Hot Topic'Pregorexics'", and read "Behold, the incredible shrinking pregnant woman: Nicole Kidman! Or so it seems, based on photographs of her skinny pregnancy — and quick post-baby rebound body— both well documented by the tabloid press.


And she's hardly alone. The recent entries to the pregorexic hall of fame include Camila Alves and her thin post-baby body and Angelina Jolie, whose super-skinny arms when she was carrying twins, mind you, were a source of concern. And there's always Nicole Richie, the poster child for body issues.

Perhaps because of all these famous practitioners, "pregorexia" has online buzz now.

Just how dangerous is it to be pregnant and skinny? It can lead to severe nausea, cardiac irregularities and labor complications."

Roi/Nancy - whose daughter is still struggling (and beating herself up unnecessarily IMHO) with baby weight that just won't go away - even with eating healthy, running, and doing Wi fit routines. Bummer.