Tuesday, August 10, 2010

To Think or Not To Think




I’m not thinking about being an atheist.
I’m not thinking about eating.
I’m not thinking about my ex-husband.
I’m not thinking about grocery shopping.
I’m not thinking about tea.
I’m not thinking about being old.
I’m not thinking about the sunshine.
I’m not thinking about my daughter in Norfolk.
Yes, I am, and my grandson who is going to Afghanistan in a week.
I’m not thinking about the danger.
I’m not thinking about clean floors or dirty laundry.
I’m not thinking about my brother and mother as this moment.
I’m not thinking about kayaking or canoeing or swimming.

I am thinking about coffee, caffeinated.
I am thinking about my granddaughters and hoping to visit them this week.
I am thinking about a lawyer I don’t like and what to do about her.
I am thinking about exotic travel, to places green, lush, warm, wild.
I am thinking about what it will be like when my husband retires in 4 short months.
I am thinking about exercising more.
I am thinking of walking to get the paper today and needing a raincoat.
I am thinking about rain, and wet, and damp chill.
I am thinking about slugs.
I am thinking about how good the peach/blueberry cobbler smells.
I am thinking about war.
I am thinking about youth and risk.
I am thinking about friends and reading books together.
I am thinking about reading.
I am thinking about that I love to write.
I am thinking about George Clooney and a new movie.
I am thinking about our 8th wedding anniversary and Elvis Presley.
I am thinking that marriage is complicated and hard and sometimes easy.
I am thinking that love is baffling.
I am thinking that there are hundreds of kinds of love.
I am thinking how much I love peanut butter.
I am thinking about my son who will soon experience Southeast India.
I am thinking about giving gifts.
I am thinking that I love giving gifts almost as much as peanut butter.
I am thinking that my back hurts a little and that I need to stretch.
I am thinking about parenting and that I didn’t realize how difficult it was to know the right way while I was doing it.
I am thinking about my children as parents.
I am thinking about how good this coffee tastes.
I am thinking of starting a new religion—Coffeetarian.


No comments: