Monday, November 22, 2010

Let It Snow

I know there are probably a whole bunch of people out there gnashing their teeth today because it's snowing and they have to get somewhere.  They likely are not snow lovers.  But I am.  I love it.  Even when I worked I loved it, but I didn't love driving in it.  I was one of those wimps that called in "stuck" in my driveway when it snowed like this.  I was stuck alright, with fear of sliding off the road.


But now that I'm retired I can love snow as much as I want to.  Snow always makes me want steaming hot cocoa, a crackling fire in the wood stove, an exciting book, a warm fleece blanket....and a buttery cookie wouldn't hurt.

Do you remember when you were a kid, playing out in the snow, building a snowman, sledding, throwing snowballs and your hands would get so cold they hurt and your nose was dripping and your pants were wet and there was snow down inside your boots?  Remember how your hands ached when you tried to warm them in hot water?  Remember how good it felt to warm up at the kitchen table with a mug of sweet cocoa and graham crackers to dunk in it?  And remember how you wanted to go right back outside no matter how cold you were going to get?  Remember not caring?  Remember wet socks and coats and pants and mittens and knit hats hanging all over the kitchen making puddles of melted snow on the floor?  Remember the smell of wet wool?  I bet you do and I bet those are wonderful memories for you like they are for me.

I hope you can let yourself love the snow just a little bit because we're going to have lots of it this year and it would be a shame if it just make you unhappy.

No comments: