Friday, May 20, 2011

Caregiving Journal 17

Don't have much time this morning.  Hospice people coming to talk to us at 10.  My daughter and grandson arrived yesterday afternoon and we had a great time visiting Mom.  She was so excited to see her beloved granddaughter, Carolyn, and to see her great-grandson, Alex.  We looked at pictures, we looked at Alex's drawings, we sang songs--had a lovely time.  My daughter cried several times from the surprise of seeing her Grandma so frail, but she didn't do it in front of her.  Mom ate for me twice--a big accomplishment in 2 hours.  She was joking and very funny and I think Carolyn feels better about things now.

Today we will see if Hospice will provide us with a hospital bed so that my brother and I can reposition Mom and get her out of bed easier.  A bed that goes up and down and can be raised at the head and foot would be lovely.  We have learned, from all the T's, how to stack pillows and put others under her side to give her a new position, but it's very difficult, even with such a tiny person.  I think a bed that lowers nearer the floor will make things less scarier for her, too.

Lately, this past week, I can't remember which day it is and which T I'm meeting with.  Is it Tuesday and we meet with the OT or is it Thursday and we meet with the PT?  And I've given my first "no" to a nurse calling to tell me that "the doctor needs to see Lucretia next week".  I said no, I'm not making her get herself to the doctor anymore.  She is too weak and frail.  It's not going to happen.  I was told yesterday by the PT (or the OT???) that Hospice will take care of that kind of thing, too.  They will provide the doctor with the information he or she needs that they would have gotten if the (stubborn and protective) daughter had agreed to bring her in.

It is nice to have my daughter here because we talk about all kinds of things and I can forget a little bit about my Mom and just have fun.  It's also a bit of work to have someone else in the house.  I asked her to come, so it's something that will just be necessary in order to have her here, but I'm not being a hostess and she gets it.  She has made her own and my grandson's food and so on and she'll borrow my Mom's car while she's here, so I don't have to get her anywhere.  All I had to do was pick them up at the Bremerton Ferry yesterday and bring them to Mom's house and then here.  So the dynamic of my life will be different until Sunday.

Maybe it was just the excitement of seeing Carolyn and Alex yesterday, but it seemed like Mom was a little better, but at this point, "better" is a very subjective term.

No comments: