Saturday, July 28, 2007

Slant


These two lovely ladies were instrumentally helpful in forming a women's group last night. Bookworm wanted to call it Slant, after a line in an Emily Dickinson poem, so Slant it is. I like it. It conjers a way of being, a way of seeing, a way of doing--slant. We drank and ate and laughed and several cried. Seems to me that's just how it should be in a women's group and there seemed to be a very nice level of trust as the women opened up their hearts to each other. There were only 6 of us, with 10 invited, but the 6 that were there seem pretty compatible. I am excited to see where we are in one year, in terms of how well we know each other, what we have done, how we feel about the group. I need this now that I am retiring. I don't want to end up like my mother, who seems content to see me and my Aunt Billie and have that be her whole world. I need more women than that, if only to ask them how to wax my eyebrows! Slant also could be seen as a symbol of moving forward, if the slant is to the right. That is definitely what I am doing--moving forward into the next 25 years.

1 comment:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Everybody has a different slant on things. I love "Slant". It's a great name - and great women, too! And that picture is two years old. Or maybe one - - maybe last summer. The woman with the big earring's hair is red. Her hair has a different slant to it now, which gives it new (and old) meaning. I can't quite remember that DIckenson quote "Tell the truth but tell it slant," I think it goes. She was talking to writers. But it is what all good storytellers do. Just like weather, there must be slant.