Thursday, October 18, 2007

Promises



Sunday we were asked at 2:30 to attend a “renewal of wedding vows” for Fossil Guy and Bookworm at 4:30 on that same afternoon. If you know Bookworm at all you know that she might call you with such a request out of the blue and that if you know what’s good in this world, you go. Which we did and were glad of it. It was a lovely occasion—lots of people heeded the call and came ready for anything. I asked Fossil Guy what was going on and he responded that he didn’t know much except that he was to put a new ring on Bookworm’s finger and showed me the ring, then residing on his little finger.

The Fellowship minister, Liz, led the two in their vows; Fossil Guy said something very sweet off the cuff to Bookworm and Bookworm read something she had written, also sweet. Grandson, Alex, nee Aliester, announced that his grandparents were “very good” ones and Granddaughter, Rachel, also known as Mrs. H. lately, read an announcement written by her Grandma. We were asked to tell of something we knew about the couple we were there to fete and I remembered, nearly 40 years ago, the two of them standing face to face in the old Fellowship hall, with arms around each other, staring into each other’s eyes. I believe I have a picture of it, which I will attach with this post if I can find it.

The proceedings brought tears to most of our eyes, including the old/new bride and groom who we toasted with champagne and then we ate slices of pumpkin pie on the deck, in the unseasonably warm October afternoon.

It made me wonder what kind of vows I would say now, after being with my mate for almost 15 years. I asked him what he would say and he, not being one to take such questions seriously, replied that he would promise to continue to pester me.
I would have to promise to always welcome my mate home with a hug and kiss, to praise a job well done, to kiss him goodnight every single night before sleep, to be patient with his bossy mother, to make spaghetti at least twice a month, to hug him in public often, to never ask him why he is driving in a certain direction or at a certain speed, to come without complaining to view a You Tube video or a joke sent by a friend and to turn out the lights in the room I am not in.


Here is another picture, more current, of FG and BW on that lovely Fall day.

No comments: