Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Best Of

My Favorite Movie of 1985
Last week, at a dinner of our women's group, SLANT, we were trying to list the three music CDs we'd take to a desert island with us. It wasn't easy, because we all love music, so the conversation went on for a long time ranging from Carmina Burana to Uncle Bonsai.
That got me thinking about movies and which movies I'd take to that desert island. That's even harder. I have been since childhood a huge movie lover. Our Mom took us to movies every week and my earliest movie memory is of Song of the South, with Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit. How could i possibly come up with a list? But my family has been keeping what we call New Year's Papers since 1985, more than 20 years. They are lists of Best Ofs for books, TV shows, movies, etc. for the previous year. That's where I'd have to start. Just for kicks here is a list of the movies I've listed since 1985, with the movies from '85 forward:
Sophie's Choice and The Big Chill - 1985
Amadeus - 1986
The Return of Martin Guerre - 1987
Gorillas in the Mist, Rasing Arizona, Mystic Pizza and A Fish Called Wanda - 1988 (Couldn't make up my mind or a good movie year, not sure which)
Dad, Bull Durham and Round Midnight - 1989
Jean de Florett, Cinema Paradiso and Bird - 1991 (another good movie year)
Cyrano/Truly, Madly, Deeply/Malcolm X - 1992
Crying Game and Sleepless in Seattle - 1993
The Piano/Schindler's List/Four Weddings and a Funeral/The Player/Shawshank Redemption - 1994 (Wow!)
Rob Roy/Blue Sky/Apollo 13 - 1995
Il Postino - 1996
English Patient/Donnie Brasco/The Usual Suspects - 1997
Good Will Hunting - 1998
Shakespeare in Love/Waking Ned Devine/You've Got Mail - 1999
American Beauty/Sixth Sense/The Amazing Mr. Ripley - 2000
Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou - 2001
My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Changing Lanes - 2002
Frieda/The Hours/Finding Nemo - 2003
Hero, Bad Santa and Mystic River - 2004
Vera Drake/Sideways/Shaun of the Dead/Boys Don't Cry - 2005
Million Dollar Baby/The Three Burials of Mequiades Estrado - 2006
I guess I would have to have a really big boat to take all these movies to the deserted island, plus all my favorites from before 1985!

4 comments:

Irene said...

Wow, I wish Chris and I had kept this up over the years. However, we did start again the year the Ali was born so I guess in 20 years we'll have quite the lists too.

You may want to remind your son that it is OK to put more than one thing in each category. He has been pretty strict about only allowing ONE answer per question and I'm sorry but it's hard to choose TV shows and movies and things, when there are both dramas and comedies.

Just one of the discussions we can have when you come to see us in just 5 WEEKS!!!!

Irene said...

Are all desert islands equipped with fully loaded entertainment systems? Are they state of the art or will you show up with your DVDs and CDs only to find a VCR and turn table? And if the island has such a feature, would it also be in a house or just somewhere along the beach? Maybe some questions you can discuss at your next meeting.

Mom said...

We did discuss such things though not quite as in depth as you suggest. I don't think there is a house, only a palm tree or many palm trees. Think Castaway.

Dee said...

I must have been in a daze in 1991, I don't recall any of those movies? :)
Enjoyed reading your blog