Thursday, February 11, 2010

Quick Bits


Did you know that the word Hobo is a shortening of Homeward Bound? Then I think that means we are all Hobos in this life, especially those of a certain age, those of us who are enjoying getting to know our old classmates again. Going home to our roots, appreciating where we came from, remembering our youth and thinking about all that has ensued over the years, good and bad.

************

From USA Today's Tuesday paper:
Study: Beer may have a bone benefit
"Beer may help keep bones strong because it's a rich source of dietary silicon, which contributes to bone mineral density, researchers report.....beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon. Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element". Dang! I knew beer was good for me!

*******************

My Mom celebrates her 88th birthday on Friday, along with Abe Lincoln. Mom's cousin, Ellen Hope and Mom nicknamed each other Abe, because of Lincoln and Mom sharing the same birthday. My Mom has had 3 nicknames: Lu (short for Lucretia), Chickie (Mom made this one up, too) and Abe. She is quite sure she will be around for 90 and beyond--I'm sure she will, too. Happy Birthday, Mom.

**************

It's American Idol time again, just barely begun if you don't count the silly auditions, which I don't. Will there be some clear wow performers right away, or will we whittle away singer after singer until we end up with 10 "good enoughs"? Only time will tell. I love the journey. I always wonder, if we'd had an American Idol show when I was in high school, would I have had the guts to audition? It would have been the early 60s--they'd have been looking for a new Barbara Streisand, Annette Funicello or Bobby Darrin, maybe--we'd have been singing standards or songs from musicals. Who would the judges have been? It's fun to think about.

No comments: