Thursday, November 29, 2007

Factory Closed

As of yesterday, the cooking/baking factory is CLOSED! I am done, at least for 2 weeks. The packages of baked goods have left the building and are on their way, through the mail routes to their destinations, Norfolk and San Diego. I also sent a big rescue vehicle toy to my Grandson, Alex, but the dang thing was a challenge to wrap--read that: ###$^%&&** hard. It would not fit into any of the boxes we had saved in the garage for sending things in and because of it's shape it couldn't just be wrapped in brown paper. I had to cut and tape and tape and cut other pieces of cardboard to wrap around it and then cut up paper bags to wrap the wrap. It was very odd-shaped by the time I was done and nearly waterproof because of all the tape.

Now it's just get the suitcase packed and wrap a few presents before I go on December 1, to Wisconsin. I put the Christmas tree up and got lights on it yesterday and a few ornaments. When I got home from my Mom's house yesterday, Michael had placed presents under it already. He is one of THOSE. He wraps things as he gets them. It seems so logical and organized, so why can't I do that? I always have to go into a frenzy of wrapping in order to get it done. I wrapped all of Michael's presents today, except for the one that isn't here yet. Then I got ready to walk out to get the paper and just as I was leaving the phone rang. At this time in my life I don't let the phone ring. It could be a crisis at my Mom's house or it could be Irene calling to say she is on her way to the hospital to have that new little granddaughter. As it turned out, it was Irene, reporting on her earlier report of two days ago, that she is dialated to 2 centimeters and is in lots of discomfort but that she is still hanging on. She had phone numbers to give me, lots of "just in case" information and new tales of Alison's antics. She has also made a list of Ali's idiosyncracies and her routines, just in case. She is doing the best job she possibly can to avert any "second baby" traumas.

By the time that phone call was over Michael had come hope with the paper, soI took off my coat and ate some lunch. Just as I was ready to go lay out all the stuff that had to go in my suitcase, I got another call. This time it was a Mom Crisis. "Chris! I'm at the Mall and I can't find my car. I have been everywhere and I just don't see itand I'm exhausted. Can you come and help?" So, off I went to the Mall and rescued Mom, whose car was on the other side of the Mall from where she'd been looking. After a few questions it was pretty easy to narrow it down.

So even though I am not baking, I am still cooking on all four burners. Now, if the snow will just hold off until I get to the airport on Saturday I will be a happy camper and on my way to a new, exciting adventure.

No comments: