Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Three Girls in Scotland

In the Spring of 2006 my mother, my daughter and I are going to Scotland together. It occurs to me that my other daughter hasn't heard this news yet, and won't if she never looks at this blog. But that's not why I'm writing about this trip. I'm writing because I think it will be the trip of a lifetime. I haven't seen my Norfolk Daughter in several years now. She's pretty good about email, when I nudge her, so we've been in contact, but I haven't gotten to hug her or look upon her pretty face for a long, long time. She hasn't seen her Grandmother in lots longer than that. It's at least 12 years since she has lived here, where her Grandmother resides. Her Grandmother, my Mother, is 83. I have to take her somewhere really special before she becomes fragile, which luckily hasn't happened yet. Scotland is the place her ancestors on her mother's side come from and the ancestors have been the subject of Norfolk Daugher's research in the past few years, so it became Scotland.

I've always felt a connection to that other very green land and I have discovered the novels of Diana Gibauldon, so I am eager to see the Highlands and the other areas we'll be visiting. I want to learn how to speak in a Scottish brogue, too. I am very excited to see my daughter and mother get reaquainted. For Christmas I will give my mother a new suitcase with things in it for her trip--a travel journal among them. My mother writes in a diary almost every day and is in a Writer's Group, where she goes weekly with her writing assignment.

I will have lots to report after that trip I am sure. About my Mom, my Daughter and very likely, about myself.

No comments: